Brandon Locher is best known as a visual artist, having contributed to Ghostly International’s aesthetic in recent years with striking works like his ‘Mazes to the Motherlode’ series. Locher is a musician as well, most recently recording solo under his own name and as part of the duo Stage Hands. His guest mix is a 90-minute monster of bubbly IDM, free-spirited jazz, and infinite other surprises, from artists like Daniel Lanois, Angelo Badalamenti, and Carl Stone. In Locher’s words it’s “pretty blissful, most lately I’ve been enjoying stuff that leaves you with a bit of transcendence.” Check out the mix, a quick Q&A, and a sampling of Brandon’s visual art below.
Tracklist: (01) Nuno Canavarro Untitled
(02) Brandon Locher "Medium Frequency" (Single Version)
(03) Aphex Twin "Bbydhyonchord"
(04) Daniel Lanois "Satie"
(05) Flanger "Endless Summer"
(06) Laraaji "Vision Song Suite"
(07) Gigi Masin "Consequences of Goodbyes"
(08) Vincent Gallo "When"
(09) Vijay Iver Trio "Human Nature"
(10) Carl Stone "Shing Kee"
(11) Angelo Badalamenti "Mysteries of Love" (French Horn solo)
(12) Andrew Chalk "San Baladino"
(13) Nusrat Feteh Ali Khan "Kehna Ghalat Ghalat To Chhupna Sahi Sahi"
(14) Tom Zé "Mã"
(15) Alice Coltrane "Om Supreme"
(16) Pierre Bastien "Omajosafir"
Name: Brandon Locher
Hometown: Johnstown, Pennsylvania
Current city of residence: New York, New York
Last song you obsessed over: “Shing Kee” by Carl Stone
Last meal: Vegetarian Stromboli
Last concert attended: Medeski, Martin, and Nels Cline at Le Poisson Rouge, NYC
Last record store purchase: Sirens (Deluxe Edition) by Nicolas Jaar from Turntable Lab
Last major purchase: GoPro Hero4
Last book you read: Heads: A Biography of Psychedelic America by Jesse Jarnow
-Check out a selection of Locher’s visual work below, available for purchase at The Ghostly Store, and see more on his official site.
Locher’s art on the ‘Looped Visions’ toy by Brandnewnoise